We need to start
Using the full potential of all agricultural produce to create a new generation of sustainable, safe, nutritious and delicious products while reducing the total footprint to zero in 2050
The Sustainable Food Initiative wants to use the full potential of all agricultural produce to create a new generation of sustainable, safe, nutritious and delicious products while reducing the total footprint to zero in 2050. To achieve this, we need to make a systemic leap in producing and processing food. We need to start changing now!
- We will develop a new generation of food processing technology in 2025, that enables a decrease in footprint (water, greenhouse gases) of 50% whilst preserving the inherent goodness of the agricultural raw materials
- We will have created routes in 2025, to reduce waste production by 50 %, enable more than 95% high-value use of agricultural raw materials, and to ensure full circularity of packaging materials
- Using modern approaches from the field of data sciences, we will be able in 2025 to handle at least 90% of the available raw materials
A new way of working:
The SFI community is organised in three environments, suited to the different types of partners. Each challenge contains work in all environments for an optimal exchange of knowledge and expertise: insights and first results from the R&D environment can quickly be tested in the field labs, whose concepts can be developed or tested with the living labs. In this way large corporates can work with scores of smaller companies and consumers, accelerating the development and implementation of new innovations.
SFI is a circle in the sand, where partners share data, facilities and information. SFI is a level playing field where partners work together in achieving the SFI goals.
- SFI will be an inclusive, trust based community of academics, industrial experts and SME innovators/start-ups that can step change the innovations needed and drive their implementation
- SFI programs are designed to achieve the best science and full implementation at the same time
- SFI research is pre-competitive and designed to disrupt
- SFI programs are designed to create maximal synergy