Total Use No Waste
Total Use - No Waste
The world is changing, and so are the demands on food. We want to feed more people and use our planet’s resources more sparingly. This requires mild & smart technologies that are more sustainable and affordable to optimally process raw materials into healthier, less processed food. Technologies that require less raw materials, less energy, less water, less heat, improve food safety, and extend shelf life without altering the taste and nutritious substances. Without waste, healthy food for everyone!
Mild food processing
Our test facilities on lab, pilot, and production scale are managed by top industry experts with direct links to universities and technology providers. In collaboration with partners, we offer the option to use test facilities. From small tests from a couple of hours or a day to small production runs. This way the most likely problems when scaling up are the past when being production ready!
- ATFD on laboratory and test production scale. Agitated Thin Film Drying can substitute spray drying. The vacuum drying process uses significant less energy (up to 70%) while liquids are dried at low temperatures (30-50 degrees). Important ingredients are kept available in the end product.
- RMF batch process. Freezing products by means of radio waves in combination with a magnetic field. This technology provides higher preservation of the product’s quality in relation to conventional freezing methods. There is also less energy consumption when compared to traditional technologies.
- HPP on test and production scale. HPP protects and defends foods by subjecting sealed products to incredibly high pressures – up to 6,000 bar. It’s an all-natural process that uses purified cold water to neutralize food-borne pathogens, like listeria and E. Coli, without preservatives or chemicals.
- Membranes on laboratory, test, and production scale
- Traditional spray dryers on pilot and production scale.
- PEF on pilot production scale. PEF works by puncturing the cell membrane, whatever the size of cell. The process is targeted, gentle and clean. Pulsed Electric Field (PEF) processing is making its way from the lab to market implementation. This novel preservation and separation method opens new perspectives for the food industry. It can be used to preserve liquid bulk products such as fruit juice, milk, etc.
- Much more… on request!
Normally we follow 3 basic steps:
- Applied research at our testing facilities. We check if available technologies are suitable for your application
- Scaling up. We validate the technology in a food grade environment. This allows you market seeding and the opportunity to build your business case to scale up to full production size
- Scaling up to full production scale or tolling facilities depending on your requirements
Smart food processing
The Field Lab Total Use No Waste is located at Food Tech Brainport in Helmond (The Netherlands). The aim of this field lab is to inform food processing companies in North West Europe and bring them together with technology providers of flexible automation (robotization and cobotization). Another goal is to show food processing companies what is possible, but also what is not possible with cobots (robots that can work with humans) and other digital automation. The field lab has various setups with Cobots, Robots and other digital automations. Specifically focused on food and the total use of raw material, in an actual food production area.
Food Tech Brainport
Food Tech Brainport has an extensive network of food processing companies, research organizations, schools, technology providers, and public partners. The ultimate goal is to “make a sustainable change by enabling food processing technologies”. We are here to make food processing companies more effective, support technology providers accelerating their market launch, and develop food processing talents! For more information about Food Tech Brainport please visit www.foodtechbrainport.com